If you have been injured in an accident caused by negligence, the most important thing to take care of first is your health and well-being. Next, you must hold the at-fault party accountable for their actions by hiring an attorney to help you recover financial compensation for your medical expenses, property damage, lost income due to missing time from work, pain and suffering, and other damages.
Why You Should Hire a Personal Injury Attorney
An injured party must hire a personal injury lawyer to represent them during the legal process. Many attorneys have years of trial-tested experience handling similar claims and a comprehensive understanding of the legal process are committed to protecting the rights and best interests of their clients.
The following are several benefits of hiring an experienced personal injury lawyer for your case:
- Thoroughly investigate the accident, gather and examine evidence, and identify all parties liable for your damages
- Calculate all the losses you suffered
- File insurance claims on your behalf and negotiate a fair settlement with insurance adjusters
- File a personal injury lawsuit, if the at-fault party or their insurer refuses to negotiate a fair settlement
- Handle your arbitration, mediation, or trial in order to reach a resolution in your case
- Work on a contingency fee basis, meaning you do not have to pay anything unless you win your case, which saves you time and money compared to handling the case on your own, so you can focus on making the best possible recovery from injury
How You Should Not Deal with Insurers Alone
On the other hand, many people opt to work directly with an insurance company to obtain compensation. Unfortunately, whether you are dealing with your own insurer or the at-fault party’s carrier, the insurance company is only committed to protecting their own best interests by either reducing or even completely denying valid claims.
Insurers may also attempt to have you give a recorded or written statement or sign a medical release form, but these tactics are designed to gain your personal information to be later used against you. Lastly, once you sign a settlement agreement, you cannot demand more money or discover additional damages because your case will be officially closed.
Before you file a claim or accept a settlement, it is wise to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney to learn about your available legal options. At Block LLP, our legal team has recovered millions of dollars on behalf of our clients by providing them with compassionate and personalized legal representation.