Car accidents can be emotionally overwhelming and even traumatizing. Whether you are involved in a serious collision or a minor “fender bender,” knowing what to do after an accident can help you avoid making mistakes that may jeopardize your health and your ability to recover financial compensation for your losses.
The following are five steps you must take after a car accident:
- Check for any injuries – After a crash, move to the side of the road or sidewalk, then check yourself, your passengers, and the occupants of the other vehicle(s) involved in the accident. If there are any serious injuries, call 911 for an ambulance and wait for emergency personnel to arrive. If your injuries are relatively minor, it is wise to see a doctor as soon as possible to determine the full extent of your injuries.
- Call the police – According to California law, if a car accident involved an injury or death, you are required to make a written report to the police. You just simply need to call law enforcement authorities to the scene and an officer will prepare a report on behalf of the department. On the other hand, if there is a relatively minor injury and/or property damage worth over $1,000, you must report the accident to the DMV within 10 days.
- Document the collision – Once the police arrive, obtain the responding officers’ names and badge numbers, get a copy of their police report, take pictures of the accident scene, exchange information with the other driver(s), and talk to any witnesses.
- Notify your insurer – Call your insurance agent, who will tell you how to process your claim and what to anticipate during the claims process. Remember, only provide basic information, rather than all the details of the accident. Your insurance company will later contact you to obtain a written or recorded statement.
- Hire a lawyer – If you have been injured in the crash, it is imperative to obtain legal representation from an experienced personal injury attorney before you make a statement with your insurer. Your lawyer can listen to your story, answer any questions and concerns, and determine your available legal options to maximize your entitled compensation.
At Block LLP, our legal team has recovered millions of dollars on behalf of clients who have been injured in car accidents in Burbank and throughout Los Angeles County. We are proud to have a 98 percent success rate because of the compassionate and personalized legal representation we provide our clients.
If you have been injured in a car accident in Burbank or Los Angeles, call Block LLP today at (818) 740-5335 or fill out our online contact form today for a free initial consultation. When you hire us, you do not have to pay us anything until we win your case!